Where does National Organization for Marriage get these people? Seriously. Keep in mind that it was not NOM that obtained victories on Proposition 8 and Question 1 in California and Maine respectively. Rather, it was the campaign manager, Frank Schubert from Schubert Flint Public Relations. In fact, NOM uses at last four different imaging firms. Given that NOM receives about 90% of its revenues from five donors (presumably the result of efforts by Robert George and Maggie Gallagher), they are not very effective at raising money. NOM’s 2010 payroll and benefits totaled $1.2 million which is roughly equal to the year’s budget deficit.
- NOM’s President, Brian Brown, has never really run anything. Nor does he have any experience with a company that might have provided some management development training.
- NOM’s Director of Corporate Fairness, Jonathan Baker, doesn’t seem to
have any relevant corporate experience. He worked as a staffer for the
Ohio legislature for five years and joined NOM in September, 2011.
- NOM’s legal expert, Joshua Baker, doesn’t seem to have ever practiced law and is a graduate of a fourth rate unaccredited Christian law school.
- NOM’s Cultural Director, Thomas Peters, is a fundamentalist Catholic who doesn’t seem to be a college graduate; He attended Ave Maria College. Prior to NOM he held vaunted positions such as Communications Director at the American Principles Project
and Administrative Assistant at the Dominican House of Studies.
- NOM has used the services of four or five Haas siblings (depending upon whether former employee and now Friar Isaac Haas is a member of the family) including Mary Haas who appears to be the office manager. Her qualifications seem to be limited to familial. Justin Haas is, or was, NOM’s Director of Operations.
- NOM’s Director of Development is, or was, David Monge. Monge actually has some related experience. Most recently, he was the Director of Development for a small non-profit. However, he was apparently unemployed for almost a year before he joined NOM in 2009 which means that he was probably terminated.