This is not a display of intolerance. This depicts the handiwork of some nitwit who decided to vandalize a “Protect Marriage Washington” sign.
Yet, according to the Family Policy Institute of Washington (which is really just another Christian decency league), this defaced sign, along with three others represents the “consequences” of same-sex marriage. It’s part of what their Executive Director, Joseph Backholm, calls a photo montage of tolerance.
Allow me explain what real intolerance is.
- Real intolerance occurs when some gay kid is so beaten down (often physically)
- Real intolerance means that gay kids fear for their physical safety in school every minute that they are in school or commuting to or from school.
- Real intolerance occurs when gay people are denied employment, fired or denied housing, simply for being gay; Something that is lawful in most states.
- Real intolerance occurs when the children of gay people are unable to have the security of married parents because of some biblical objection that is logically tortured and sold to the electorate as “consequences.”
- Real intolerance occurs when gay people are denied the basic civil right to marry the person that they love.
- Real intolerance occurs when opponents of equality manufacture self-victimization trivializing the real consequences of intolerance.
In other words, Joseph Backholm, fuck your defaced signs. They have nothing to do with “intolerance.”