A new post on Maggie Gallagher‘s website is titled Kids Need Both Mom and Dad, Says Gay Man Opposed to Gay Marriage
As you might have guessed, the gay man referenced above is Doug Mainwaring.
For a long time I thought, if I could just find the right partner, we could raise my kids together, but it became increasingly apparent to me, even if I found somebody else exactly like me, who loved my kids as much as I do, there would still be a gaping hole in their lives because they need a mom,” Mainwaring, co-founder of National Capital Tea Party Patriots, said.
Mainwaring is now living with his ex-wife so they can co-parent their two teenaged sons.
“I don’t want to see children being engineered for same-sex couples where there is either a mom missing or a dad missing,” Mainwaring explained. “Somebody needs to stand up for the rights and needs of children in an age when the selfishness of adults seems to be trumping those rights.”
I have some questions for Mr. Mainwaring:
- When did you know that you are gay?
- Did you think that marriage would take away the gay?
- Suppose gay people had more acceptance, might you not have married a woman in the first place?
- Had you not married a woman and were in a stable relationship with another man, would you not have wanted the right to marry?
- Now suppose that you and your partner wanted to adopt a child. Would that child be better off or worse off than not being adopted? Would that child be worse better off or worse off if his adopted parents (two men) could marry?
- What makes you think that gay couples are not good parents?
- Are you aware that the overwhelming majority of children being raised by gay couples are the product of a traditional marriage between one partner and his or her opposite sex husband or wife?
- Are you aware that after natural procreation, comes adoption
- Why do you think that you have the right to impose your choices on everyone else? Aren’t you claiming a monopoly on wisdom?