Just a brief note: This was the case of the New Mexico photographer who refused to take pictures of a gay commitment ceremony. As I previously noted:
- This matter was heard by the New Mexico Human Rights Commission. Elane lost.
- This matter was appealed in federal court. The US district court moved it to state court.
- This matter was heard before the state district court. Elane lost.
- This matter was heard before the state appellate court. Elane lost.
- This matter was heard before the state supreme court. Elane lost.
In theory, this is settled law due to Scalia’s opinion, for the majority, in Employment Division v. Smith but ya never know.