Mat Staver - Liberty Counsel

According to Mat Staver, head of the anti-gay hate group Liberty Counsel, same-sex marriage is the most important domestic issue in the United States. Interviewed for a WND piece titled “‘Electoral suicide’ to ignore No. 1 issue in U.S.” Staver said:

From a domestic standpoint, there’s nothing more important than this issue. … If a candidate does not address it, the candidate is ignoring the most critical domestic issue of our time.

Obviously, radical Islam, Israel, the Middle East, all that’s important. That’s from an international and national security perspective. They need to address that as well. But if they run from this issue, they’ve ignored the issue of our time.

So … the marriages of around 5% of the population – which in no way affect the marriages of the remaining 95% of the population – are more important to Mr. Staver than the economy, education, energy policy, social security, health care, immigration and domestic security?

Staver goes on to say:

If the party or the presidential candidate for the Republican Party ultimately goes the wrong way on marriage, the Republican Party will look at a splinter group, that will ultimately no longer support the Republican Party. There’d be no reason to. If Republicans become just like Democrats on social issues, there’s no reason to support that party.

And this ignoramus is what the Republican Party panders to. Amazing.

By David Cary Hart

Retired CEO. Formerly a W.E. Deming-trained quality-management consultant. Now just a cranky Jewish queer. Gay cis. He/Him/His.