|Pope Francis is the one on the left|
Pope Francis has reportedly said that government officials should be able to refrain from actions that violate their beliefs. This statement has been repeated in countless Christian venues as if it were divine truth. It might be papal baloney but it is still baloney.
Tuesday update: It has now been revealed that Pope Francis met privately with Ms. Davis
The overriding problem is that Davis’ supposed religious objection is unreasonable. Ms. Davis complains that, because her name is pre-printed on a government form, she is approving same-sex marriage. Her name on the paper bears less significance than Jacob Joseph Lew’s signature on US currency as Secretary of the Treasury.
Ms. Davis seems to have an endless need for attention:
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes