Cathy Ruse writes “Parents Fight Back in Fairfax County” at Family Research Council’s blog.
If only the parents would keep quiet and get out of the way, then the LGBT activists and their friends in government could do what they want with our schools and our children.
That is the attitude confronting parents in Fairfax County, Va., one of the largest school systems in the country with 187,000 students. And the chief force aligned against parents and children is their own elected school board.
Not exactly. Members of the school board are seated at the pleasure of the electorate. People are hopefully elected to school boards based upon their experience and training. They are supposed to make decisions based upon the best interests of students which is far less important than keeping parents happy or the varying religious interests of parents. If there is an attitude it is probably the one associated with the strong desire to keep Christian conservatives out of the classroom. Most of us don’t want kids to be dumbed-down with things like creationism and we neither solicit nor require their guidance when it comes to LGBT students.
The Fairfax County School Board has been controlled by liberals for decades, by outsize margins. The School Board has grown so accustomed to ignoring the appeals made by those outside their political party that today they feel quite free to make policy changes without any pretext of compromise and with no respect for the views of parents.
Translation. The members of the school board are keeping Christianity in the churches and out of the classroom. They are making secular, science-based decisions over the welfare of our children. Jesus, Moses and Muhammad don’t get a say.
Lately they have pushed controversial gender identity politics into every corner of the public school experience in Fairfax County: re-writing the Student Rights and Responsibilities handbook, changing the sex ed curriculum, changing categories of discrimination, pushing inappropriate sex surveys for kids, etc.
This has nothing to do with politics. That is intellectually dishonest. Furthermore, there is nothing “controversial” about trans access and treating LGBT students fairly. It becomes controversial when Christian conservatives scare the crap out of parents — convincing them that predatory teen boys, when they awaken in the morning, will decide to be girls for a day in order to gain access to the girls’ bathroom in order to rape their precious little daughters. The fact that this never happens in school districts that have had these policies in place for years is apparently irrelevant. The lie — and it is a lie — doesn’t matter. “God made males and females and everyone is born heterosexual and that settles it.”
Well, Fairfax parents have had enough.
A large and well-organized group of parent activists have come together to fight the Board. They’ve created a resource designed to inform and empower parents about the Gender Identity policies facing Fairfax families as children return to school.
Well, it’s time to assemble the Christians. Reviewing the package, this has been choreographed by Liberty Counsel which tried to halt this in court and failed. It is the usual nonsense about endangered little girls. Family Research Council and Liberty Counsel are both designated as “hate groups” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.
If you go to page 11 of their handout, the references to supposed experts comprises a who’s who of anti-LGBT Christianist crackpots:
These are some of the “legal” advisers they are relying on:
- May 2016 Liberty Counsel Legal Opinion stating FCSB policy has no legal authority or scientific authority.
- Ken Cuccinelli Legal Opinion regarding Virginia AG Mark Herring’s adding Gender Identity to Policy 1450.
- Title IX and Transgendered Students by Peter Sprigg, Policy Expert, Senior Fellow for Policy Studies, Family
Research Council, Washington, D.C. [Peter Sprigg is a Baptist pastor]
- “Transgender Movement and GI in the Law” by Peter Sprigg, Policy Expert, Senior Fellow for Policy Studies, Family
Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Section VII statement by Travis S. Weber, Esq., Director, Center for Religious Liberty, Family Research Council
- A new report by renowned psychiatrists Dr. Paul McHugh and Dr. Lawrence S. Mayer reveals that most children and
teens who experience gender dysphoria resolve those issues and grow up to embrace their biological sex. [Ms. Ruse also wrote about this article]
- In June, more than 60 leaders concerned about the mental health of American children signed onto an open letter that
asserts the Obama administration’s transgender bathroom decree for schools is “putting the nation’s children at risk.” [Leaders means Christian supremacy activists like Louie Gohmert and Sandy Rios]
- Joint letter of agreement with American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, American College of Pediatricians,
Catholic Medical Association, and Christian Medical and Dental Association written by President Michelle Cretella,
MD, of the American College of Pediatricians. [Note: These are all Christian splinter groups of mainstream professional organizations. American College of Pediatricians is a designated hate group]
- Statement concerning sports safety, fairness to girl athletes by Dr. Bill Shaw, Sports Medicine Provider, Member of
American College of Pediatricians in Virginia.
- Cover letter and statement DOJ Guidelines for transgender students Dr. Jennifer Roback Morse, Founder and
President, The Ruth Institute. [Morse’s doctorate is in economics]
- Letter from Jane Orient, MD, Executive Director, American Association of Physicians & Surgeons (AAPS).