Finding the nuttiest anti-LGBT culture warrior in the land is no easy task. There are just so many unhinged, insane, irrational crackpots to choose from. Among the obvious choices, however, is Florida’s own Anthony Verdugo of Christian Family Coalition. The banner, above, is from CFC’s website.
So what egregious anti-Christian ordinance is under consideration that will actually legalize child abuse?
Miami-Dade County wants to ban parents, pastors and everyone else, from counseling minors who have been raped and/or sexually abused and have unwanted homosexual urges and sexual identity disorder.
Section 21-289 of the proposed ban prohibits “any counseling, practice, or treatment performed with the goal of changing a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity including, but not limited to, efforts to change behaviors, gender expression, or to reduce or eliminate sexual or romantic attraction or feelings toward a person of the same gender.”
If guilty of having a conversation with your child, you will be fined $500 each time.
The Miami-Dade County ban is illegal, discriminatory and unconstitutional!
It is a clear violation of YOUR First Amendment right free speech!
URGENT! Please sign this petition NOW.
LET’S STOP THIS NOW!
- Child abuse? The very definition of child abuse is conversion therapy. It is specifically rejected by every mainstream medical and counseling professional organization. There is no peer-reviewed research published to a scholarly journal that supports conversion therapy. LGBT people are not broken. They do not need to be fixed.
- The proposed ban on conversion therapy has no effect on parents.
- Neither rape nor child abuse have any effect whatsoever on sexual orientation.
- The only reason that a minor has an “unwanted” sexual orientation is parental or peer disapproval due to religious beliefs.
- The fine is $500 for the first offense. $1,000 thereafter.
- The ban on conversion therapy is not illegal, discriminatory or unconstitutional (Pickup v. Brown). It’s not a First Amendment issue.
This is pretty much a done deal. The second reading of the ordinance is September 7. This only effect the unincorporated parts of Miami-Dade County. Miami Beach, for example, is in Miami-Dade but has had it’s own ordinance in place for several years. The Council will probably try to expand the ordinance to the entire county. Then Anthony Verdugo will really go batshit.
Christian Family Coalition is not a 501(c)3 so there is no transparency. We have no idea what the finances look like.