Once again, hate group leader Mat Staver is being inexcusably dishonest. Staver is a pathological liar. According to an email that I received Wednesday afternoon:
SPLC Should Rename “Hate Map” to “Groups We Hate Map”
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) admitted its fault and removed a town from its “Hate Map” this week. That map irresponsibly mixes religious organizations with violent hate groups. This time it included the town of Amana, Iowa because an unknown source alleged some people who might have been associated with The Daily Stormer met once in a restaurant for coffee. This is one of many inaccuracies and gross over-characterizations that can be found on SPLC’s map.
Amana, an innocent town, was blacklisted by the SPLC. People living there were brought under a cloud a <sic> suspicion because of the improper, sweeping accusation of the SPLC. The SPLC makes wide generalizations and then seeks to harm those within its self-proclaimed classification of others.
As you probably know, SPLC doesn’t “blacklist” anyone or anything — and certainly not a municipality. So I checked with Heidi Beirich at SPLC. Amana Colonies was founded by anti-Nazi Germans. The town has a considerable German-themed tourist trade. They asked SPLC to be kind and to please remove the swastika from the pin on their town. Given the town’s unique history, SPLC complied, listing Daily Stormer as a state-wide operation.
Daily Stormer eluded my attempts to locate them once. Andrew Anglin, the publisher, is secretive about where he is located. Daily Stormer is an assumed name for Andrew B. Anglin. Anglin also owns Moonbase Holdings, LLC. Both of those can be traced to Ohio (Worthington and Hilliard respectively) but those are possibly the addresses of an associate (Karen Zappatelli) and Greg Anglin who might be Andrew’s brother.
Referring to SPLC’s Hate Map, Staver claims: “That map irresponsibly mixes religious organizations with violent hate groups.” In other words, Staver’s claim is that, because Liberty Counsel is a religious organization (is it?), he should get a pass. Liberty Counsel is designated as a hate group because it is — well — a hate group. Liberty Counsel routinely maligns and attempts to marginalize and denigrate LGBT people. Mat Staver is an unhinged religious extremist.
Staver is no better than the average Klansman. Here are some of the stated beliefs of the Association of Georgia Klans. I merely removed the white supremacy beliefs and this is what is left (typos and all):
- We believe in the U.S Constitution as originally written.
- We tolerate NO illegal activity What
- We strive to protect our Women and Children.
- We believe in Christ. The lord our GOD who died on the cross for our sins and rose on the third day.
- We follow and live by the word of GOD. The Holy Bible.
- We believe that homosexuality is an abomination before GOD.
- We are not nazi’s or skinheads. We oppose all alien forms of government. We support 100% Americanism.
- We fly the American flag. Thats the original flag of the Klan.
- We believe child molesters and pedophiles are disgusting and should not be on the streets.
- We support the death penalty.