|Image via C-SPAN|
The latest plea for money from Brian S. Brown, on behalf of National Organization for Marriage is titled: Day 1. According to Brown, all sorts of terrible things are on the horizon when Democrats take control of the House of Representatives:
- Anyone who refuses to address a “transgender” individual according to the person’s preferred pronouns will be subject to strict discipline, including firing, and could be hit with massive fines, potentially up to $250,000.
- Anyone who refuses to participate in a same-sex ceremony will be determined to be guilty of discrimination and subjected to legal penalties.
- Religious groups – including churches, schools and charities – must be willing to hire people who openly renounce foundational beliefs of the religion or be subjected to charges of discrimination and bigotry, and face the legal consequences.
- It will be illegal for any professional (minister, counselor, teacher, etc.) to provide guidance to a teen or an adult on dealing with unwanted feelings of same-sex attraction unless the guidance affirms the person’s LGBT inclinations.
- Faith-based schools, including colleges and universities, must adopt sweeping LGBT-friendly policies or risk loss of accreditation and student access to government-backed loans and grants.
- Taxpayers will be forced to pay for “gender reassignment” surgeries, including for inmates, military personnel, government employees, and others.
- “Sexual orientation” and “gender identity” will be elevated to “protected class” status, giving special legal rights to the LGBT community, allowing them to further use the courts to force their policy demands on the American people.
- Parents who are not willing to allow their young children to “change” their gender will risk losing custody of their children.
- And more…
None of Brown’s list makes any sense at all. It is riddled with factual inaccuracies and, frankly, stupidity. For example, parents do not allow children to change their gender. If they follow the advice of the American Academy of Pediatrics they might allow — with professional guidance — a child to affirm their gender.
Churches can never be required to hire someone. Accreditation of religious schools is by religious accrediting bodies (the government does not accredit schools). Protection from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is not a special right. Special rights are what Brown seeks throughout based on his voluntary religious beliefs.
It is all academic unless every Republican in Congress suddenly starts taking a mix of MDMA, cannabis, Prozac and lithium.
And the solution to all this misery and suffering?
So, if people donate enough money, NOM is going to thwart non-existent tragedies by subliminal hypnosis? Were the threat real, what would NOM be able to do to prevent enactment? Send idiotic emails? I guess that NOM’s supporters are prepared to believe anything if it confirms what they like.