American Family Association is profoundly pissed off at Walmart. The chain store’s “crime” was to create a Facebook video featuring a gay couple. Hate group leader Tim Wildmon is obsessed to the point of unhealthy mania. Okay,  Wildmon is an anti-LGBTQ maniac all the time regardless of what Walmart is up to.

Friday’s missive is titled What do you think they were thinking?. The sub-heading reads: “Walmart’s Homosexual Agenda? – Take Our Survey” Tim Wildmon is so out of touch that he does not realize or appreciate the fact that referring to the Homosexual Agenda™ invites ridicule.

Wildmon continues:

For most Christians and other traditionalists, the idea that marriage is between a man and a woman is sacred. We’ve seen many large corporations reject that in their marketing, but I honestly never thought Walmart would choose to actively promote the homosexual lifestyle with a video ad.

Actually, most Christians support marriage equality. “Promote the homosexual lifestyle” is as hackneyed as the cite to the homosexual agenda. Being a maniacal Christian zealot is a lifestyle. Being a sexual orientation that maniacal Christian zealots disapprove of is not a lifestyle. Disapproval does not create a lifestyle out of sexual orientation regardless of how often the maniacal Christian zealots say otherwise.

The word “promote” in this context has at least two possible meanings:

  1. Positive depictions of gay couples causes people to become gay.
  2. Positive depictions of gay couples makes it harder to discriminate against gay people.

I suspect that even Tim Wildmon, as ignorant as he is, knows that sexual orientation is not subject to influence by others. It is number two that he fears. AFA, an anti-LGBT hate group has been demonizing gay people for decades. They have been largely unsuccessful but they have created their fair share of misery.

Only 28 states protect LGBTQ people from discrimination (plus a bunch of municipalities). The rhetoric from anti-LGBTQ hate groups like AFA reinforces the existing prejudice and bigotry in those other 22 states which helps to maintain the status quo.

That survey, which Wildmon promises to share with Walmart executives begins with “1. What bothers you most about the Walmart “gay dating” video ad?” The choices are:

  • Slap in the face to conservative customer base
  • Attempts to normalize same-sex attraction
  • Company has caved to LGBT pressure
  • Who meets at Walmart for a blind date? LOL
  • Competing with Target for most PC retailer

As you can see, imagination and creativity are in very short supply at these conservative Christian organizations. Obviously they want people to select option #1. I am sure that the receptionist who receives this nonsense will be very enlightened. Walmart’s agenda, by the way, is to market to LGBT people.

What people like Wildmon never understand is that perhaps 40% of Americans have an LGBT family member. Most of those people like to shop where the retailer shows that it wants business from those LGBT people. Of the remaining 60%, most are probably LGBT friendly given that about two-thirds of our populace supports marriage equality.

Support for LGBT people is increasing. As the old fuckers die out they are replaced by young critical thinkers. In the long term, groups like AFA are going to either change or die. Unfortunately in the interim, while gender identity and sexual orientation are not contagious, bigotry is.

Related content:

By David Cary Hart

Retired CEO. Formerly a W.E. Deming-trained quality-management consultant. Now just a cranky Jewish queer. Gay cis. He/Him/His.