Bill Donohue’s styling is that of a professional mourner in his war on LGBTQ people on behalf of the Catholic Church.
This is Blowhard Bill’s job and he is paid
quite handsomely for his jeremiads.
Bill Donohue’s delusions include the idea that he is a great deal more important to the world than he really is. Donohue runs a tiny nonprofit (Catholic League) with fewer than a dozen employees from which he extracts an exorbitant amount of compensation.
Have I mentioned that Blowhard Bill Donohue is a lying sack of fertilizer?
This is where the defense of ancient texts is dishonestly framed as the protection of children. The simple truth is that Donohue couldn’t care less for the wellbeing of trans kids. The Vatican disapproves and Bill is a self-appointed flack. Thus, he disapproves.
If Donohue cared then he would not be promoting baseless bullshit. A basic prerequisite of Donohue’s “art” is the pretense that medical science is collectively ignorant. At the same time science and medicine have engaged in a conspiracy to discredit scripture. Oh, but our Billy knows all and sees all. Donohue deserves to be worshipped.
And we begin:
There are no medical criteria to determine if a child needs to undergo transition procedures.
That’s a lie merged with stupidity. There most certainly are two sets of diagnostic criteria for gender dysphoria. One for adults and another for children.
“Why is Bill Donohue so interested in the medical decisions affecting people he knows nothing about?”
Furthermore, children do not “undergo transition procedures.” In most instances children transition themselves through attire and appearance. Transgender medicine provides treatments that assist a child in transitioning. The kid only receives the treatments that he or she specifically wants.
These include the possibility of administering puberty blockers shortly after an adolescent enters puberty. These prevent the formation of secondary sex characteristics which can cause an immense amount of distress in the form of anxiety and depression. Puberty blockers are fully reversible.
At around 16 years of age an adolescent might be provided with cross-sex hormones. These allow the individual to better present as their gender. Gender dysphoria can be fatal. Better quality of life directly correlates to the quality of the individual’s gender-affirmed presentation.
According to the Mayo Clinic “Feminizing hormone therapy” (the process of a male taking female hormones) comes with risks and complications including […]
All drug therapies (including aspirin) come with potential complications. The question for an adolescent, their parents and their doctors is this: Do the benefits outweigh the risks? The task for doctors is to mitigate those risks to the fullest extent possible.
That brings up an important questions: Why is Bill Donohue so interested in the medical decisions affecting people he knows nothing about? Or is this just a means of attempting to marginalize a group of people that he disapproves of?
Donohue goes on at considerable length to describe all the evils of hormones and puberty blockers. Many of Donohue’s assertions are outright lies. That begs some more (admittedly rhetorical) questions:
“Exactly who benefits from Bill Donohue’s bigoted, dishonest diatribe and how do they benefit?”
- Does Donohue think that all of the doctors treating trans youth are incompetent or negligent?
- If so, where is all of the associated medical malpractice litigation?
- Does Bill Donohue believe that all of the parents of trans kids are uninformed or stupid?
- Does Donohue believe that he is properly informing parents?
- If so, what training and experience does he have that an adolescent’s doctors lack?
- Has Blowhard Bill even bothered to read the clinical practice standards of the American Academy of Pediatrics? Or does he think that the AAP is part of the conspiracy?
- Has Donohue read any of the applicable medical literature?
- Has Donohue ever spoken with a clinician treating trans youth?
- Has Donohue ever spoken with a trans kid?
- Has Bill Donohue ever spoken with a parent of a trans kid?
- Patients, parents and doctors know the risks associated with hormones. Has Bill Donohue considered the risks if a parent were foolish enough to make a medical decision for their child based on Donahue’s opinions?
- Exactly who benefits from Bill Donohue’s bigoted, dishonest diatribe and how do they benefit?
“Donohue shows no concern whatsoever for the damage he might do if people embrace his ignorance and stupidity.”
Bill Donohue doesn’t read the literature or seek guidance from those most qualified to offer it. There is a reason for that. Donohue probably knows that the existing evidence contradicts his faith-based theories (which he might not even subscribe to).
At this risk of repeating myself, not one word of Donohue’s drivel is motivated by concern for trans kids. This is about defending ancient texts and Catholic teachings principally based on those same texts.
Bill Donohue is a pathological liar. In a sense he is also a sociopath. Donohue shows no concern whatsoever for the damage he might do if people embrace his ignorance and stupidity. Bill Donohue deserves to be an object of ridicule.