Brian S. Brown goes to bat for an imbecile while lying about the Equality Act.
The “gimme” email is titled: FIRED for questioning equality act. Simply put: Not exactly. Brown follows with some dramatically mendacious nonsense about the Equality Act.
First let’s get to the self-manufactured “victim.” That would be Lacey Smith who was a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines. Smith is represented by Kelly Shackleford’s insane asylum, First Liberty. She has filed a religious discrimination claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in Seattle.
Ms. Lacey did not “question the Equality Act.” She asked a rhetorical question in an online company forum which was public for employees: “As a company, do you think it’s possible to regulate morality?” This was after the company made known its support for the legislation.
In its discharge notice, Alaska Airlines allegedly (according to First Liberty) claimed that “defining gender identity or sexual orientation as a moral issue … is … a discriminatory statement.” The ellipses are as stated by First Liberty. I am certain that there is considerably more to the discharge notice.
Alaska Air Group is a $3.5 billion company. It is safe to assume that they have considerable legal talent at their disposal. Furthermore, terms of employment are defined in a union contract with the Association of Flight Attendants which represents about 6,500 employees.
Moreover, I think (without being certain) that this matter has been “litigated” unsuccessfully through a union grievance process.
We will never know the company’s response to the EEOC. Those communications are confidential.
It is worth noting, in brief, how an EEOC complaint is processed. Typically 10 months is required for an investigation. Thereafter:
“… it is Brian S. Brown’s description of the Equality Act that garnered my attention.”
- EEOC might dismiss the complaint which gives the complainant a “right to sue” within 90 days. A right to sue means that the EEOC cannot find reasonable cause that discrimination occurred.
- If the EEOC determines that discrimination did occur then it sends the employer a determination letter. The parties are encouraged to resolve the matter through “conciliation” whereby the EEOC attempts to mediate the dispute.
- If conciliation is unsuccessful then the EEOC has the authority to litigate the matter in federal court which it may, or may not, do.
Perhaps we will know more about a year from now.
If Brian S. Brown ever tells the truth it is by accident:
The Equality Act is the gravest legislative threat that we have ever faced. It redefines sex under federal law to mean gender identity and sexual orientation. It turns demonstrating support for traditional marriage into an illegal sex stereotype that discriminates against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and the so-called transgender. It attempts to create a federal statutory right to abortion. And it strips Americans of religious liberty rights. NOM is leading the effort to stop passage of the Equality Act, but we’re up against major corporations like Alaska Airlines in this fight. Please help us by making a donation to our effort so that more people don’t lose their job or face other punishing consequences for standing up for their faith, common sense and the rule of law.
“NOM is not ‘leading the effort to stop passage of the Equality Act.'”
- The Act does not “redefine sex.” It makes gender identity and sexual orientation protected classes under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Brown’s BS is like saying that the Civil Rights Act redefined race and religion.
- The Act does not make “support for traditional marriage into an illegal sex stereotype.” The Act makes discrimination illegal.
- The Act does not create a right to abortion. It has no effect whatsoever on reproductive rights.
- The act does not “strip Americans of religious liberty rights.” Discrimination is not a religious liberty right. The Supreme Court made this abundantly clear in it’s refusal to hear the Barronelle Stutzman case and the ruling in Bostock v. Clayton County.
- NOM is not “leading the effort to stop passage of the Equality Act.” The organization lacks the economic resources and talent to do so.
The purpose for all these outright lies is obvious:
There are several more paragraphs of bullshit. No thanks. I will conserve some brain cells.